Re: utf8, utf16, ucs2, ucs4 and twobyte_euc_jp

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@compuserve.com)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 23:56:57 EST

"Wong YenChin" <genesiswong@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have been working on language encoding issues for a couple of
> months. I have tried using a couple of encoding softwares like
> twinbridge which is used for winnt and win95, unionway which is used
> for winnt, NJCOM, jcode and wordstar etc...
>
> My major focus is on utf8, utf16, ucs2, ucs4 and twobyte_euc_jp, none
> of the software used are able to do the following conversion which is
> from euc_jp to twobyte_euc_jp, utf16, ucs2 and ucs4.
>
> My resource is exhausted. Looking for software that can do the above
> encoding software conversion. Anotherway is to wrote the conversion
> routine for the above encoding. Which is the other alternatives....

Mapping tables are available from the Unicode Web site to convert
between Unicode and many popular multibyte encodings.

Once you have data in one Unicode encoding form, say UTF-16, converting
it to any of the others is quite simple, with no tables required. In
particular, UTF-16 and UCS-2 are identical as far as your needs are
concerned (converting data from a legacy encoding).

These are Frequently Asked Questions, BTW.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California