Re: Q.'s about hanja

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@pantheon.yale.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 11:31:29 EST

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, John Cowan wrote:

> Marco Cimarosti wrote:
>
> > 3) How often are hanja used today, however? (All the Korean web pages I come
> > across are totally in hangul, including
> > http://www.unicode.org/unicode/standard/translations/korean.html).
>
> I believe they are still common in newspaper headlines, because of the greater
> degree of compression they permit.

Well, that brevity argument is frequently invoked by people in favor of
greater use of Hanjas in Korea, but a lot of people including me believe
that's not ncessarily the case. There are quite lots of newspapers that
went 'all-Hangul' (headline or not) and even those still using Hanjas in
their printed versions do not use Hanjas at all in their on-line versions.
(ambiguity and degeneracy arising from using Hangul-only is rare even
in newspaper headlines)

Jungshik Shin