Re: Greek Prosgegrammeni

From: Nick NICHOLAS (nicholas@uci.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 15:49:03 EST

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Lukas Pietsch wrote:

> Apparently a lot of confusion has followed from an initial
> misunderstanding that a "iota prosgegrammeni" ("adscript iota") is a
> diacritic that looks similar or alike to a "iota ypogegrammeni"
> ("subscript").
> It doesn't. [...]
> If anybody has evidence that small, diacritic-like iota glyphs were ever
> used with capital base letters in Greek writing, please let me know and
> ignore the rest of this message.

I refer you to http://genepi.louis-jean.com/omega/boston99.pdf ,
pp. 13-14. Capital subscript iota is rather commonplace in Greece, and
occasionally turns up elsewhere; we certainly have several instances in
the TLG corpus, though almost always from the nineteenth century (when
capitals also bore single accents for many printers.)

If I had to choose between Prosgegrammeni mapping to Ypogegrammeni or
Iota, I'd choose Ypogegrammeni: the prosgegrammeni is obviously a
positional (and typographical!) variant of the ypogegrammeni, and is
semantically no longer tantamount to an iota --- though in *one*
typographical tradition, it is displayed as a lowercase iota. U+1fbc (*A|
in Beta Code), being the capital version of U+1fb3 (A|) = U+03b1 + U+0345,
makes more sense as still containing a diacritic than as containing a
letter on decomposition, and would mean one less exception in collation
(especially if StudlyCaps (tm) ever took off in Polytonic Greek ---
unlikely though this might be. :-) .)

--
    Nick Nicholas; TLG, UCI; nicholas@uci.edu; www.tlg.uci.edu/~opoudjis
"Electronic editors have to live in hope: hope that the long-awaited