Re: Lakota (was Re: OT: Devanagari question)

From: David Starner (dvdeug@x8b4e516e.dhcp.okstate.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 16:00:10 EST

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 12:00:26PM -0800, Rick McGowan wrote:
> dvdeug@x8b4e516e.dhcp.okstate.edu wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, there's no corresponding LATIN CAPITAL LETTER N WITH LONG
> > RIGHT LEG, which Lakota needs.
>
> To my knowledge, the discussion in September between John Cowan and
> Curtis Clark didn't terminate with any actual proposal, and I'm not

Looking at the emails, it terminated with Clark being satisfied that
U+019E would work.

> clear on whether the above assertion is a fact. I'm not saying I know
> anything about this field either. Does Lakota REALLY need a letter that
> isn't in Unicode?
>
> Are you in a position to provide documents and evidence, and/or make a
> definite proposal for adding this character? It would be a good thing
> to add, if it's really needed.

That statement was based off one book, the most recent book on Lakota
I've seen, that claims to be using the most recent orthography (the 1982
orthography) which is currently being used to teach and write Lakota.
A large version of U+019E is definitly being used where all caps are used,
but I can't find an instance where it starts a word.

I am getting more Lakota writing at some point, and I could write up
a proposal based on that if nessecary, but I have no contact with the
Lakota.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http://dvdeug.dhis.org