Fwd: Changes proposed for Tamil

From: AvaFonts@aol.com
Date: Wed Nov 15 2000 - 18:50:04 EST

Dear Chris Fynn,

This font should be tried without Uniscribe support and without any other
fully conformant Tamil fonts to understand the scientific principles behind
the current recommendations. Of course in real use these supports are
essential. I'll soon be publishing the new version font for real use where
the opportunity to see the raw data will be reduced.

Sinnathurai Srivas

 << The proposal is not acceptable. The Current state of allocations is
based on scientific principles. The new proposal is of usage based
principle. It is not only "ai" (I guess its not AI as described below),
but also au, e, ee, o, oo have the similar charactersitics. Unless all of
these are changed to usage based one, it should not be accepted as a
solution/change. A mixed solution is a recipi for disaster. Contextual is
only acceptable if all of the recommendations are contextual based. In my
opinion the current scientific solution should be kept in tact so that the
process handling language becomes sophisticated as it is scientific based.

  As I do not have detail information on this proposal, if my assumption
about the proposal is wrong please correct me.

  I have published a Tamil Unicode Font for test purposes. This proposal and
the other characters I mentioned above may be better understood by visiting
(please do not visit if you do not wish to view sicML)
  http://www.geocities.com/avarangal/tamilunicode.html

  Sinnathurai Srivas
   <

   They involve a change to the contextual processing model involving the AI
   vowel.

   John F.

============
Dear Chris Fynn,

here it is. Though intended, somehow it missed the Unicode list before.
<<<
Perhaps it would be more worthwhile to discuss the proposed changes to Tamil
on the Unicode list unicode@unicode.org rather than on the OpenType list - at
the very least some mention should be made on the Unicode list as well.
So far nothing seems to have been said there about these proposed changes.
BTW Though I don't read Tamil, I seem to get your web page rendered correctly
in all but one or two places without your font installed (I do have
Microsoft's Tamil IME installed under Win 2K)

Chris Fynn
Dzongkha Computing Project
Thimphu Bhutan

attached mail follows:

url address corrected
http://www.geocities.com/avarangal/tamilunicode.html

<< The proposal is not acceptable. The Current state of allocations is based
on
 scientific principles. The new proposal is of usage based principle. It is
 not only "ai" (I guess its not AI as described below), but also au, e, ee,
o,
 oo have the similar charactersitics. Unless all of these are changed to
 usage based one, it should not be accepted as a solution/change. A mixed
 solution is a recipi for disaster. Contextual is only acceptable if all of
 the recomondations are contextual based. In my openion the current
scientific
 solution shold be kept in tact so that the process handling language becomes
 sophisticated as it is scientific based.

 As I do not have detail information on this proposal, if my assumption about
 the proposal is wrong please correct me.

 I have published a Tamil Unicode Font for test purposes. This proposal and
 the other characters I mentioned above may be better understood by visiting
 (please do not visit if you do not wish to view sickML)