Re: Persian decimal separator

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Thu Nov 16 2000 - 07:52:54 EST

The only question I have here is that no one was *ever* suggesting a slash
be used for the decimal separator. The suggestion was made for the CURRENCY
separator. Since the question was asked (and all of the answers were made)
mentioning the decimal separator only, I would have to wonder whether they
were answering the actual issue that was under consideration here?

I have two acquaintances (not connected to MS) who speak Farsi, neither is a
linguistic authority or pretends to be. Both recognize the slash as a
currency separator, but one of them believes it to be inappropriate to use
on non-Farsi currency amounts and both of them admit the matter is mostly
theoretical since the Farsi currency does not currently see a need for a
currency separator (something we discussed last time, I believed). This is
hardly conclusive proof, but if non-technical native speakers can cast doubt
on an issue, then obviously there is reason to believe there may be an issue
worth investigating?

I am not saying that you or they are wrong and would never pretend to have a
true opinion here other than to say I DON'T KNOW (until and unless I live in
Iran and learn Farsi to the point where I can respond to the question!). But
I am unsure how a company (such as Microsoft, which currently lists the
slash as the currency separator for Farsi) can proceed to consider evidence
that may well be tainted by having the wrong question asked? Clearly there
was some basis for believing that the currency separator was a slash, and
there should be a compelling basis for believing that this was a mistake?

MichKa

Michael Kaplan
Trigeminal Software, Inc.
http://www.trigeminal.com/