Re: i18n URIs (was Re: Supporting this is going to be loads of fun...)

From: addison@inter-locale.com
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 17:08:27 EST

Danger!

There are TWO encodings required here.

I think the original author's problem was with DNS names (hence the
reference to BIND). You can't have Unicode characters in a domain name
using percent encoding. This is the piece where standardization is going
on now (cf. LACE, RACE, UTF-5, iDNS, etc.)

What Edward is referring to is the standard URI encoding already used for
the *rest* of a URI (e.g. after the first '/' character in the URI). This
code is available in a number of places. A good one (embedded in a clear
discussion of URIs and I18n) is located at:

http://www.w3.org/International/O-URL-code.html

Addison P. Phillips Principal Consultant
Inter-Locale LLC http://www.inter-locale.com
Los Gatos, CA, USA mailto:addison@inter-locale.com

+1 408.210.3569 (mobile) +1 408.904.4762 (fax)
Globalization Engineering & Consulting Services