Re: Information about curly-tailed phonetic letters

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2000 - 21:37:05 EST

Robert Lloyd Wheelock wrote:

> >From: JÖRG KNAPPEN <KNAPPEN@ALPHA.NTP.SPRINGER.DE>
> >To: "Unicode List" <unicode@unicode.org>
> >CC: unicode@unicode.org
> >Subject: Re: Information about curly-tailed phonetic letters
> >Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 01:33:05 -0800 (GMT-0800)
> >
> >The curly-tail consonants t, d, n, l, c, z are also included in the
> >TeX IPA (tipa fonts). The documentation of those fonts is available
> >on
> >
> >ftp://ftp.dante.de/texarchive/fonts/tipa/tipaman.ps.gz
> >
> >--J"org Knappen
> >

> Hello!
> Most IPA fonts include these lowercase right-tailed retroflex letters: t,
> d, z, c, j, l, n, r;

Richard Cook is not talking about the retroflex characters, i.e.,
t-retroflex-hook (0288), d-retroflex-hook (0256), z-retroflex-hook (0290), etc.

He is talking about the alveolo-palatal laminals, i.e.,
c-curly-tail (0255), z-curly-tail (0291), etc.

Some of these were included in Unicode, but not all were -- which is
the point of Cook's proposal to add them.

--Ken