Re: sequences and stuff

From: Mark Davis (mark@macchiato.com)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 12:17:45 EST

The soft hyphen is not sufficient, since in other languages the case where
two letters must be distinguished in collation may not fall on a syllable
boundary, or allow hyphenation between them.

The UTC looked at all the possible existing boundary-control characters;
none of them really work for this problem since they all have other
functions that may conflict. There was a proposal for a grapheme-break and
grapheme-join pair of additional "Cf" characters. The UTC accepted the
second one, and will be working with WG2 on it.

Mark

IMO, both are useful in different situations. The grapheme-break is more
useful in the situation you cite: marking the exceptional words having
characters that should not be considered a single grapheme in collation
(and, perhaps, in pronunciation: e.g. "Bathill").