[unicode] Re: UCS-2 Files

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 10:53:35 EST

Jeff,

A byte is the least addressable portion of memory. The IBM 1401 for example
has 6 bit bytes + a word mark. Parity bits don't count. A lot of systems
in the 50's and early 60's had 6 bit bytes. That is why octal became so
popular.

Bytes were not used for systems like the IBM 1620 which was a scientific
system. Memory was an array of number registers and was not character
based. Instead the least addressable memory unit was a word.

A byte may be 8 bits now but it was not always 8 bits.

Carl