[unicode] Re: Persian Alphabet

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sharif.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2001 - 12:46:47 EST

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Marco Cimarosti wrote:

> > hich
> > vAzhe
> > yAd
> > kArgar
>
> This looks like a *binary* sort.
>
> If you consider that "y" is probably U+06CC (ARABIC LETTER FARSI YEH) and
> "k" is probably U+06AA (ARABIC LETTER SWASH KAF), whose code is greater than
> the code of any "Basic Arabic" letters.
>
> So, this sounds like there is no real support for a Persian sorting order.

"k" is really U+06A9 (ARABIC LETTER KEHEH), which we call only Kaf. Swash
Kaf is not used in Persian. Let me spell Vladimir's words:

hich -> Heh, Farsi Yeh, Tcheh
vAzhe -> Waw, Alef, Jeh, Heh
yAd -> Farsi Yeh, Alef, Dal
kArgar -> Keheh, Alef, Reh, Gaf, Reh

About the binary sort, it seems that you are right.

BTW, a POSIX locale for Persian collation is now avaiable in Glibc's CVS.
Take a look at:

http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/libc/localedata/locales/?cvsroot=glibc

The file is named "fa_IR".

--roozbeh