Query, please help

From: Raghvendra Sharma (RaghvendraSh@NIIT.com)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 08:48:38 EDT

Hi there

I am a software developer, currently trying to develop a javascript based
equation editor (an interface to create equations). For that i needed
certain greek symbols, which i happily derived from the unicode character
set. It worked on my machine on IE5.5 and Netscape 6 both.

But while testing more exhaustively, i got to know that the interoperability
between machines or browsers has to be accomplished, i.e. it is not
something that can be assumed to be present on the client machine.

Let nme describe the exact nature of problem,

1. The client requirement is that the symbols should be available to the
user as such on the button labels and not the names. e.g. if a button is
supposed to insert (theeta) in the equation, the button for that purpose
should itself bear the symbol (theeta) and not the name "Theeta".

2. While trying to accomplish that, certain unicode characters (θ
for theta ) etc, were found to be shown on the web page ( my preview pane,
precisely a DIV which is refreshed on every button click ), but not on the
buttons ( as their labels ).

3. On certain machines, the characters were not at all visible, i mean none
of the positions, neither on the buttons as label, nor on the preview pane
properly.

About machines- The machines referred above are all p-III 256 MB ram systems
running Win NT 4.0. this behaviour is similar on both ie and netscape.

When i started hunting for the problem, i got most of the information on
languages and not on the symbols (which themselves are from Greek Language).
I couldn't find any links that mention unicode on buttons as labels.

What i want to know from your techinal expertise is the root cause of the
problem. Is this a font installation problem, is this a misconfigured
browser or something else.

any type of help would be appreciated. Links would also do.

If this mail id is not the correct place for such a query, please accept my
apologies and kindly direct me to the correct address.

Thanks in advance

regards

Raghvendra Sharma
Software Developer
Software Solutions Business
NIIT Ltd.
C-125, Okhla Ph-1
NIIT Ltd.
Phone - 91-11-6810801-06 Extn 2719, 2711