Re: Latin w/ diacritics (was Re: benefits of unicode)

From: jgo (john@nisus.com)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 15:37:54 EDT

> At 2001-04-18 08:49:40 -0600 John H. Jenkins wrote:
> The fundamental problem is that *everywhere* in the TrueType spec it is
> assumed that glyph indices are two bytes, and there are innumerable
> tables that reference glyph indices. Basically TrueType would have to
> be rewritten from scratch.

Ouch. Another grand scheme shows its inside the cramped box design.

> At the same time, none of the people involved in defining TrueType --
> Adobe, Apple, and Microsoft -- believe that it is really a good idea to
> have a single font covering all of Unicode. Microsoft provides one
> because there has been a strong push from people demanding it, but it
> still isn't a good idea...

Yah, no sense making things straight-forward and convenient
when you can atomize them into many scattered pieces of
varying sizes and other characteristics to be juggled in
different ways in different programs and parts of programs.
I mean, why just load up this sort of thing at initialization
time and then use it until the program exits rather than
introduce many exciting opportunities for failure while
your customers are in the midst of doing their thing.

What was I thinking? There's more job security for programmers
this way, too.

John G. Otto Nisus Software, Engineering
www.infoclick.com www.mathhelp.com www.nisus.com software4usa.com
EasyAlarms PowerSleuth NisusEMail NisusWriter MailKeeper QUED/M
   My opinions are probably not those of Nisus Software, Inc.