RE: RECOMMENDATIONs( Term Asian is not used properly on Computers and NET)

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 15:46:24 EDT

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Ayers, Mike wrote:

> > From: DougEwell2@cs.com [mailto:DougEwell2@cs.com]
>
> > For the Han characters, I have found in the past that people
> > whose native
> > language does not use these characters usually refer to them
> > as "Chinese."
> > Obviously (to us anyway), calling them "Chinese characters"
> > is not adequate,
> > so we search for alternatives.
>
> Consider:
>
> "Hanzi" -> "Chinese characters"
> "Kanji" -> "Chinese characters"
> "Hanja" -> "Chinese characters"
>
> ...so it would seem that everyone but us agrees on what to call 'em.

  My personal preference is also call them 'Chinese characters'
(I wish the phrase 'CJK ideographs' had never been coined/used.) and I
believe most, if not all, Koreans would have no problem with that.
However, some other people somewhere else may not like that even though
'Hanzi/Kanji/Hanja' are just different ways of pronouncing the identical
words written in 'Chinese characters' meaning 'Chinese characters'.

  Jungshik Shin