RE: UTF-8S (was: Re: ISO vs Unicode UTF-8)

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 14:08:59 EDT

Mark,

Now I understand.

If they implement a UTF-16 strcmp function that is a case sensitive version
of a UTF-16 strcasecmp(stricmp) you will get the same result as a UTF-8 or
UTF-32 compare. To me, it seems like this is the way to go.

Normally a strcmp function just loops through the string comparing them
character by character. If the loop checks for surrogates and compares
UTF-32 code points you will always get the same result for all encoding, the
standard Unicode code point order.

Ultimately this is the "do it right the first time" way of implementing
Unicode.

Carl