RE: RECOMMENDATIONs( Term Asian is not used properly on Computers and NET)

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 07:26:27 EDT

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Thomas Chan wrote:

> of "ideographs". Actually, what's worse is that "hangul" is often used
> rather the name of the language--one'll see a list of choices like
> "English, Francais, Deutsch, Nihongo, Hangul..." (the last not in Latin
> script, of course, but its own.

  You're absolutely right and 'Hangul' above should be 'Korean'
or 'Han-kuk-o'. However, so many *Koreans* mix up two separate things
Hangul (script) and Korean (language) and call both of them 'Hangul'.
I don't like it, but I'm afraid I have to live with that. North Korea
is better in that respect than South Korea. North Korea seems to use
two distinct words to refer to the script and the language. If two
Koreas are unified the way I wish them to be in the future (NOT the
way two Germanies were unified), we may have to come up with (a) new
term(s)/word(s) to refer to the script (and possibly the language).

   Jungshik Shin