Re: Digits shapes

From: Jeff Guevin (jguevin@bu.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 09:50:33 EDT

My understanding, coming from a professor of Arabic in Cairo, is that Arabs
(or Egyptians, at least) say that the numerals they use are called
"hindi"--ie, "Indian"--in Arabic. Granted, however, he was unable to
explain why Europeans' digits are called "Arabic" and why Arabs don't use
Arabic numerals.

Also, both sets of glyphs are used throughout the Arab world, not just in
Egypt.

As for the change from LTR Indic to RTL Arabic to LTR European scripts, I
tend to doubt it played much part in changing the glyphs, considering that
Arabs still write their numbers LTR.

Jeff