Re: UTF-8

From: toby_phipps@peoplesoft.com
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 03:24:18 EDT

>Will the Unicode version of UTF-8 be registered with IANA and, if so, what
>will be its "charset" designation?

Firstly, please let's halt the confusion right here. I'll repeat myself
once more. We're not redefining UTF-8. What we're proposing is not a
"Unicode version of UTF-8". It is another, completely distinct
transformation, "UTF-8S".

I've also stated in previous emails in this thread that I don't see a need
for IANA registration, as it is intended for use within systems only,
however I would also not object to such registration.

>Currently, if an email client receives a message with "Content Type:"
>containing "charset=UTF-8" and accepts up to 6 octets for each scalar
>value, it would be considered "Unicode compliant." If it generated
>messages with "Content Type:" containing "charset=UTF-8" and complied with
>the IETF specification (RFC 2279) for generating UTF-8 8-bit values, it
>would not be considered "Unicode compliant."

I agree with this assessment.

Toby.