RE: xICU 3.0 Status - (Simplified Unicode Implementation)

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 13:36:50 EDT

Mark,

I though hard about the name. I thought that maybe it should be totally
different. This would imply that it is a product in and of itself that
happens to use ICU. Instead it is more like a sample program to be used to
implement ICU, not a product in and of itself.

It provides functionality outside of ICU but this is mostly the type of
logic that does not belong in ICU itself. It is also the type of code that
users may want to tailor. As a consequence it did not make sense to build a
formal product.

Carl