RE: informative due to variation across langauges

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 05:42:15 EDT

Peter Constable wrote:
> Can anyone think of other examples of informative properties
> that are so
> because the property is typical but not true for all languages?

Is it stretching things too much to say that glyphs (the representative
glyphs as published in TUS) are informative character properties?

If not, the fact that different languages may use different glyphs can be
seen as one reason why there cannot be "normative glyphs". Of course it is
just one of the zillions reasons, and probably not even the most important
one.

However, the fact that glyphs may depend on language is particularly
important in some contexts, namely CJK characters. E.g., I think that all
the stroke count information in UniHan.txt is informative (is it, right?)
because the counting depends on the actual glyphs, and the glyphs partly
depends on which language is considered.

> Can anyone give me a specific example of why Line Breaking or
> East Asian Width properties aren't normative?

East Asian Width could be seen as another example of a property which is
informative because it depends on actual glyphs, which in turn depend on the
actual language. E.g., the whole East Asian Width property is meaningful
only for systems which implement East Asian typography.

_ Marco