Re: Nushu (was Re: UTF-17)

From: Lars Marius Garshol (larsga@garshol.priv.no)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 16:27:15 EDT

* Lars Marius Garshol

| Nushu isn't mentioned there. What is the status of that with regard to
| encoding it in Unicode?

* Kenneth Whistler

| It's up in the air.

I can understand why that would be so, but shouldn't the roadmap say
so? I would think it would be useful for it to do so.

| From what I have seen, there is some question whether Nushu should
| just be treated as a cipher of the existing Han characters.

The information on this page:

would indicate that this is not the case. Apparently some characters
are derived from Hanzi, but others seem not to be. Also, Nushu does
not seem to be logographic.

| "When research began again 30 years later, scholars had difficulty finding
| anyone still proficient in the language. A dozen or so women in their
| 70s and 80s were found who could read nushu, and only three could
| write it. Two of those three have since died, leaving Yang Huanyi,
| 83, the only person in Hunan's Jiangyong county who can still communicate
| using the script." -- Tracy Sorenson

What Orie Endo writes seems to indicate that things are not quite as
hopeless as Sorenson may make them seem. So while it does not appear
to be fully researched yet it does seem that it will be at some
point.

--Lars M.