RE: Nushu

From: Tom Emerson (tree@basistech.com)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 09:02:02 EDT

William Chiang(*) provides a table of some 1535 nushu glyphs, with
possible hanzi originals and hanzi glosses for each nushu glyph.

His table is built from 141 documents covering 13 registers and
containing some 107K glyphs. The oldest texts analyzed date from the
beginning of the 20th century: older texts are much more difficult to
come by because a woman's writings were often burned after her
death. The texts range from a number of different authors.

I don't have a break down of the number of glyphs and each variant,
though I've been meaning to do this for a while.

There is still active research being done on cataloging and
categorizing the nushu writings, though this information is available
only in Chinese, is published only in China, and has not been
computerized.

I've been meaning to develop a proposal for nushu for a while, but
have been stalled creating the fonts.

(*) Chiang, William W. "We Two Know The Script; We Have Become Good
    Friends: Linguistic and Social Aspects of The Women's Script
    Literacy in Southern Hunan, China". University Press of America,
    1995.

Sr. Sinostringologist                              http://www.basistech.com