RE: FW: Arabic font Crisis!!!!!

From: B (11@onna.com)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 06:46:21 EDT

I think what you want is maybe characters with 0 width. But just because it has 0 width doesn't mean it can't show up. This is really weird, but what 0 width really means is that the cursor doesn't move when you type the character.

Zero width:
The character has no width of its own, so what it can do instead is borrow some width from another character. It does not rob the other character's width; instead, it shares it. It might appear above or below the other character to share its width.
I have seen this in action.

If only it was people that use this stuff that invented computers. Then they would have better support for it!

(See my old remark about the hypothetical language with script joining AND a 1000+ character set AND furigana. Any other cool "features" this language would have?)

Hmm,, your language does not script-join its digits. That would be a good one. Bankers would love it.

$B!!!!$i$s$^(B $B!z$8$e$&$$$C$A$c$s!z(B
$B!<!<!<!<!<(B PTKA IZGT F SFNNGYGB ZRMSFTB WM
$B!!$"$^$s$1(B NFEGT FM MGYWPRMKA FM F SFNNGYGB IWOG
$B$M$1$"$:!!(B IWKK QGT FT IPQGT ZFXG GHRFK YWJZNM.