Finnish Academic releases Elvis hits sung in Sumerian

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 18:25:11 EDT

 From the Irish Times, 2001-07-03

Finnish Academic releases Elvis hits sung in Sumerian

A FINNISH academic whose quirky recordings of Elvis Presley songs in
Latin have gained cult status has now put the King of Rock 'n' Roll
back a few thousand more years -- with a record in the ancient
Sumerian language.

Mr Jukka Ammondt will on Thursday release his record featuring the rock classic
"Blue Suede Shoes" in Sumerian, one of the world's oldest languages
spoken in 4000-1800 BC In southern Mesopotamia, an area that now lies
in southern Iraq.

"Ill be wearing a loin cloth and blue sandals," Mr Ammondt said,
describing his attire for the launch to be held at an international
conference of Assyriology
and Near Eastern Archaeology in the Finnish capital, Helsinki, this week.

Prof Simo Parpola, who translated the lyrics, settled for sandals in
the song's famous refrain: "Do anything that you wanna do, but uh, uh
honey, lay off of my shoes."

In this version it comes out "but my sandals of sky-blue leather do
not touch", or in the world's oldest written language: "Nig-na-me
si-ib-ak-ke-en, e-sir kus-za-gin-gu ba-ra-tag-ge-en."

"I believe this record will give people an understanding of their
roots and that we here in Finland respect those roots," Ammondt said.

Mr Ammondt's Elvis songs recorded in Latin won him a following around
the world and an honorary medal from the Pope. (Reuters)

Boy do I want a copy of that CD. Pity it's not in Hittite, though.

--
Michael Everson