Slovene, Croatian and many others

From: paliga (paliga@fx.ro)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 08:06:32 EDT

The problems connected to various uses of extended Roman characters, not
only in Slovene and Croatian, but in all the central-east European languages
(including Baltic, Turkic and Maltese) and also in linguistic transcriptions
(like Indo-European, Uralic and Altaic) is vast and complex.
As I could furtively note in the last Unicode 3.1 (well, pre-last, but could
not yet download 3.1.1.) many of the required characters are present there,
but indeed some should be added. There are also complex problems connected
to cross-platform conversions: I currently use MAC OS, also OS X, sometimes
am compelled to convert MAC OS docs to Windows docs as most publishers
require Windows docs. MAC OS X will probably solve the basic problems, for
the time being we have to wait for some fonts and keyboard layouts, and also
for a font viewer (God knows what glyphs are hidden behind those names in
Library/fonts...).
I think the basic problems of unicode and its relations with the various
languages of the world have been solved; there will always be additional or
additionable glyphs. The efforts should concentrate on a common unicode
language for both MAC OS and Windows so that conversions be smooth, and the
user be sure that what he/she sends via e-mail is correctly decoded at the
other end.
Well, for the time being, we may be satisfied with IPA fonts; I have the
feeling unicode is always being improved, so nobody dares fully implement
it.
Or maybe I am wrong.

Sorin Paliga
paliga@fx.ro