Re: Unicode transliterations (and other operations)

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 00:23:42 EDT

James Kass scripsit:

> Does the vocabulary make things clearer or cause confusion?
> If we need to distinguish between reversible script conversion
> and irreversible script conversion, could we not simply say
> "reversible script conversion" and so forth?

No, that does not capture the distinction. In transliteration, we
are mapping one script to another in a language-independent way.
In transcription, we are mapping the writing conventions of one
language to those of another.

Handy example: the name of the country written "Myanmar" (in
transliteration) is pronounced ['b@m@]. This was transcribed
into (British) English as "Burma".

Of course, to represent the pronunciation I am using an ASCII
transliteration of IPA!

One art/there is/no less/no more/All things/to do/with sparks/galore
	--Douglas Hofstadter