Re: collating sequence mapping.

From: DougEwell2@cs.com
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 11:49:53 EDT

In a message dated 2001-07-05 0:36:13 Pacific Daylight Time,
vibhar@india.hp.com writes:

> We were designing a tool that would map from unicode to an internal code
> ..we thought the criterion for mapping would be the collating sequence
> as it is language specific rather than the encoding system.
> the problem we are facing now is that the collating sequences of the two
> methods of encoding are different.
> Is there any other way in which we can match or map the two systems of
> encoding.

The order of code points in Unicode isn't expected to be culturally correct.

There shouldn't be any need to create a brand new encoding system and map
Unicode code points to it just to achieve proper collation. What you should
do is define a collation table in accordance with Unicode Technical Standard
#10, "Unicode Collation Algorithm," and then apply the collation algorithm
using your table.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California