Hawai'ian in kana (was RE: Terms "constructed script", "invented script")

From: Edward Cherlin (Edward.Cherlin.SY.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 06:31:06 EDT

At 03:01 PM 2001-07-09, rick@unicode.org wrote:
> > Odd. I've always considered Japanese "double consonants" to be
> > glottal stops. Could anyone please explain the difference?
>
>They are glottal stops.

No. "yappari" contains a syllabic voiceless bilabial stop, and similarly
'tt' is a syllabic form of the same voiceless stops as 't' . 'ss' isn't
even a stop. Perhaps you are thinking of 'kk'.

The syllabic voiced bilabial stop is written as if -nm-, as in the anime
character name Ranma.

>But Japanese writing doesn't have a (standard)
>means of expressing a glottally stopped vowel pair. It only can express
>consonants. One supposes that a small "tsu" would suffice, e.g.
>$B%O%t%!%$%C%$(B => hawai'i... And probably has already been used somewhere
>to that effect. As Ed Cherlin pointed out, "tsu" has been adapted for
>word-final consonants... in that sense, "tsu" is effectively used as a
>virama
>already.

No, it doesn't remove the previous vowel or replace some other consonant.
It just adds a glottal stop at the end of the vowel. /a'/ is a common
utterance in Japanese, with no accepted spelling. The manga writers
improvise with atsu (katakana, small tsu). Compare American uh-oh /u'o/ or
huh! /hu'/.

>I still don't know if there's any Japanese phonetic scholarship that
>distinguishes "L" and "R"...
>
> Rick

"Is That R as in London or L as in Roma?" (book title), pronounced
izzat aa azu in rondon oa eru azu in loma?

Edward Cherlin
Generalist
"A knot! Oh, do let me help to undo it."
Alice in Wonderland