RE: Is there Unicode mail out there?

From: Addison Phillips [wM] (aphillips@webmethods.com)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 13:44:43 EDT

After all the various replies that say "gosh, I can't read this", I thought
it might be helpful to point out this section of Abijit's email headers:

The outbound mailer (even in Notes, which is a pretty well internationalized
application, although they bury the settings that control this specific
capability!!) can send UTF-8, as far as I remember, plus a raft of legacy
encodings. In this case either the user's mail client or the mailer itself
is set to send US-ASCII. Since I don't have Notes installed these days, I
can't say where the controls are that change the settings (I certainly don't
remember), but I do recall that I was able, as a Notes user in the past, to
set my encoding. That would quite possibly make the string of eight unknown
characters visible to the list. Note that this has nothing to do with which
mailer you are receiving the mail with or with Sarasvati's capabilities or
anything: the message was converted to nothing before it left the sender.

In most cases in my recent experience, settings on the mailer or mail client
itself prevent a proper Unicode message from being generated. The mailers
themselves rarely care about the encoding: as long as it obeys RFCs
822/1341/1342 they are happy. Most of the more modern GUI mail clients can
handle UTF-8. Yes, there are older or text-mode clients that can't deal with
it, but in my experience it is getting to the point that there are
(generally, generally) more problems with getting the settings set to send
than with receivers receiving!

Best Regards,

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Globalization Architect / Manager, Globalization Engineering
webMethods, Inc. 432 Lakeside Drive, Sunnyvale, CA
+1 408.962.5487 (phone) +1 408.210.3659 (mobile)
Internationalization is an architecture. It is not a feature.