Re: Is there Unicode mail out there?

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 15:23:36 EDT

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Mark Davis wrote:

> [...]

  Well, it was not in UTF-8, though. It was encoded in Windows-874
(for Thai) and was flagged as such in Content-Type header of the message.

   Conetnt-Type: text/plain; charset=Windows-874

  In my previous response, I thought actual encoding used was UTF-8, but
Lotus Notes put the incorrect charset parameter value in C-T header. That
turned out not to be the case. At least, there's NO inconsistency between
what's used in the message body and what the message header indicated
was used in the message body.

  I'm writing this email with Pine running inside
UTF-8 enabled xterm with the following line added to display filter
spec. of my pinerc (Pine configuration file)

  _CHARSET(Windows-874)_ /usr/bin/iconv -f CP874 -t UTF-8

   Unlike my previous message (which include Windows-874 encoded
string in Thai but marked as in UTF-8 because I thought that Thai string
was in UTF-8), this message should have Thai string encoded in UTF-8
(as indicated by C-T header).

   Jungshik Shin