RE: Is there Unicode mail out there?

From: Ayers, Mike (Mike_Ayers@bmc.com)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 18:37:59 EDT

> From: Jungshik Shin [mailto:jshin@mailaps.org]

> Nothing cryptic. As with others on this thread, your problem is
> to mistake Windows-874 (legacy encoding for Thai) for UTF-8. Because
> Windows-874 does NOT cover Chinese characters, they turned into
> '?'. Judging from your message hader, you're not using MS OE
> but something different.

        I am using OE, set to UTF-8. If I mail Chinese to myself, all is
well.

        Odd. Perhaps our post office is changing things.

> No, it should have been Windows-874 party !! :-).
> Both Mark Davis and Peter Constable sent messages in Windows-874
> beleiving that they're using UTF-8.

        Perhaps, like me, they sent messages in UTF-8 and had them converted
to Windows-874 without consent. :-(

> However, I'm sending this in UTF-8 (after automatic conversion by
> my mail client, Pine 4.33).

        I also received it as UTF-8.

<Addison>
I think you'll find that Peter's response applies to you too: the mailer is
seeing Windows-874 on the incoming message and converting your outgoing
message to use that same encoding (in a bid to be compatible with the
original message). Outlook has done that for awhile. If you manually set the
encoding for the reply you can override that behavior. In Outlook 2000 this
is "Format | Encoding"....
</Addison>

        Mine already says UTF-8. Test again: 你好吗?

/|/|ike