RE: Erratum in Unicode book

From: Chris Pratley (chrispr@microsoft.com)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 23:11:56 EDT

Actually, since the Ext B standard was evolving so slowly for so long at
the end (over a year with only minor changes), we worked with Founder to
get the font 99.x% accurate and then just waited for any final errata,
which in any case only involved a handful of characters, glyphs,
orderings, etc.

Not everyone has to work at the pace of international standards bodies.
It is not just a resources issue. John Jenkins points out correctly that
Unicode is bound in that way, waiting for a political "rubber stamp".
Vendors can ship the day the standard is not going to change any more.
(and sometimes earlier, often to their and others' significant detriment
:-))

Chris Pratley
Group Program Manager
Microsoft Word