Re: Is there Unicode mail out there?

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 00:17:39 EDT

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 DougEwell2@cs.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2001-07-11 15:03:27 Pacific Daylight Time,
> jshin@mailaps.org writes:
>
> > P.S.How about making a sort of resolution to recommend that anybody
> > writing to this list should use UTF-8 *if /when* possible?
> > This was suggested in the past, but we're still getting
> > a lot of messages in ISO-8859-1 and other encodings.

  Just in case, I didn't mean to suggest an 'resolution' to force
everyone to use UTF-8. I just wanted to suggest that a gentle and friendly
recommendation be made as to the encoding to use for this list.

> Believe me, I would if I could.

  Apparently, you're using CompuServe. I'm not sure if it's possible
to use a mail client other than one included in CompuServe 'client/browser/
whatever'.

  If what I heard is correct, it's possible to use an external mail (IMAP4
or POP3) client like Netscape 6/Mozilla and MS OE to access mail folders
in CompuServe. I also heard that unlike AOL (although CompuServe and
AOL are now affiliated) CompuServe has SMTP servers for subscribers to
use for outgoing messages. If all I said is true, I'm wondering why you
don't switch to one of 'external' mail clients I mentioned to compose
your message in UTF-8. Perhaps, what I heard is not the case and that's
why you can't do it. There is still an option, though, namely switching
your ISP :-) (perhaps, that's not a viable option for some reason....)

   Jungshik Shin