RE: Is there Unicode mail out there?

From: Ayers, Mike (Mike_Ayers@bmc.com)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 18:25:55 EDT

> From: Chris Wendt [mailto:christw@microsoft.com]

> Replying in the charset of the original message is in my view
> reasonable
> behavior: the recipient of your reply has the best chance to read the
> message in the encoding the original message was sent. Changing the
> encoding decreases the chance the replyee will be able to read your
> message.

        For person-to-person emails, this makes sense. It does not hold up
for mailing lists, however - it's not necessarily unreasonable behavior, but
the odds of readability for mailing lists are fixed to the character set,
regardless of the character set used in any individual mailing (note that
the Windows Thai character set could not be viewed by many people - changed
to UTF-8, almost everyone could read it). For this reason, I would really
like to see option controlled behavior (use the current behavior as a
default).

/|/|ike