Re: RTF language codes

From: Marc Durdin (mcdurdin@tavultesoft.com)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 00:22:43 EDT

At 08:17 PM 23/07/2001 -0700, Michael \(michka\) Kaplan wrote:
>From: "Marc Durdin" <mcdurdin@tavultesoft.com>
>
>> I must disagree with this statement. I know of quite a few changes to the
>LCID list, some of which have caused me considerable pain in the past.
>
>Any of them in winnt.h?

Try Serbo-Croatian. Documents created with the old Cyrillic LCID definitely would not spell-check correctly -- and may not even display correctly, if the data was encoded using a default code page for that LCID. Sorry, I don't have any files created with this LCID now.

What if I wanted to use Rhaeto-Romanic; all the older specifications (RTF, Windows SDK) said I could, but I can't create a program that will use LANG_RHAETOROMANIC -- it's not there. So is it official or isn't it?

Half of the LCIDs documented on Microsoft's web site don't make it into winnt.h. So, does this mean that knowledge base articles should be ignored? Or that winnt.h (prerelease/winnt.h to be pedantic) is out of date? What LCID should I use for Welsh or Lao or Khmer or Gaelic -- should I use the LCIDs that MS list for Word 2000 -- or are they not official? If I create a Word 2000 document using one of those LCIDs, will I ever be able to load it in another program? Will these LCIDs ever make it into winnt.h?

winnt.h is not a specification of a standard: it's a C header file. winnt.h does not correspond with other information on Microsoft's web site. To my way of thinking, this inconsistency is a real problem.

Cheers,

Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft