Re: Language/Script list (was RE: List of languages & scripts)

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 11:44:23 EDT

At 08:48 7/27/2001 -0500, Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

>In the US, the languages from that family are referred to as Inupiat or
>Inupiaq. I'm not sure if they're written using the Cree/Inuit syllabics --
>I think they're probably just written in Latin. Either way I'm sure their
>writing systems are supported in Unicode. So, you could make the entry for
>Inuktitut / Inupiat. Also, the variety of Inuktitut spoken in Greenland is
>known there as Kalaallisut, and I'd be very surprised if it wasn't
>supported by Unicode (though I personally don't really know much about how
>they write over there).

The syllabic script is mainly used in Nunavut (the eastern Canadian arctic
territoty) and in Nunavik (northern Quebec). As far as I know, it is not
used in Alaska. Greenlandic Inuktitut is written in the Latin script and
Unicode not only supports but also encodes characters from the pre-reform
orthography (e.g. U+0138).

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

There are sheep in the field. 'I know what they are,' she says,
'but I don't know what they are called.' Thus Wittgenstein is
routed by my mother. (Alan Bennett, Diaries 1983)