Nivkh ( was: RE: Errata in language/script list: xUSSR languages)

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 15:33:59 EDT

Marco said:

> James Kass wrote:
> > Peter Constable wrote,
> >
> > > It's my understanding that the Nivkh Cyrillic writing
> > > system requires a couple of characters that are not yet
> > > in Unicode. These same characters are also required for
> > > Yupik (Central Siberian Yupik, I think -- maybe other
> > > varieties as well).
> >
> > For a nice illustration of the Nivkh alphabet:
> > http://odur.let.rug.nl/~bergmann/russia/alphabets/nivkh.htm

See:

http://www.eki.ee/letter/chardata.cgi?lang=_nivkh&script=cyrillic

for an analysis of the missing letters.

> Seems to me that, using composing diacritics, all letters can be encoded:
>
> 410 411 412 413 492 413+321

This is probably a Cyrillic descender, and not a palatalization hook.
So this character is missing (and is one of the ones Peter mentioned
for Siberian Yupik).

> 414 415 401 416 417 418 419 41A
> 41A+31B 49A 49A+31B 41B 41C 41D 4C7 41E

I doubt that these involve 031B (combining horn). More likely
0315 or 02BC.

> 41F 41F+31B 420 420+30C 421 422 422+31B 423
> 424 425 4B2 425+335 426 427 428 429

The ha-bar should probably just be encoded as a separate character.
It is shown as missing in the eki.ee database.

Rick said:

> Can someone propose them?

Indeed. Nothing gets done without a proposal and someone to carry
it forward.

--Ken