Re: Egyptian Transliteration Characters

From: William Overington (WOverington@ngo.globalnet.co.uk)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 05:44:48 EDT

>The missing characters can be characterised as follows:
>
>LATIN CAPITAL LETTER H WITH LINE BELOW
>LATIN SMALL LETTER H WITH LINE BELOW

When I saw this I remembered that there is a letter H with a line across it
that is used in Maltese. I remembered this from seeing it in a catalogue of
metal type which listed the accents needed for various European languages,
not from a linguistic perspective, so I do not know if that letter would be
appropriate for your needs.

My thoughts are that, as the use is for transliteration for study rather
than for transcription as a direct record it might perhaps be a suitable
choice for your use, even if only on a temporary basis, with the big
advantage that the letters are not only already coded in unicode as U+0126
for LATIN CAPITAL LETTER H WITH STROKE and U+0127 for LATIN SMALL LETTER H
WITH STROKE (the 0126 and 0127 being hexadecimal representations) but also
that both are often included in fonts that are available now. If someone
happens to be using an older version of Word that has not got those
characters available in the font being used then later versions of several
fonts, including Arial and Times New Roman, that do contain the characters
are available free from the
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/default.htm webpage.

In the Microsoft Word program one simply uses Insert Symbol and then finds
the desired character in the display provided. One can even set up short
cuts so that some combination such as Alt + Shift + H gives the one
character and Alt + H gives the other character using text entry using an
ordinary English keyboard.

I do have a further suggestion regarding the use of the Private Use Area,
though as that has a wider context, I will start a new thread for that
suggestion.

William Overington