RE: Shape of the US Dollar Sign

From: G. Adam Stanislav (adam@whizkidtech.net)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 15:07:02 EDT

At 10:17 2001-09-28 -0700, Yves Arrouye wrote:
>> Here's Arnold's chance to ask everyone to send him samples.
>
>And many of them too, until he gets some with a dollar sign on it. None of
>the banknotes I have in my wallet ($1, $10, and $20) show a dollar sign on
>them! Or It's hidden somewhere, in which case, where?

Send him a check instead. Every single US check I have ever seen had
a dollar sign printed to the left of the field where the numeric amount
is to be entered. They all use the same glyph regardless of the rest
of the design of the check.

That glyph is the S with a single vertical bar. That does not make it
the official legal glyph (I doubt we have one), though.

I grew up in Slovakia, and we were taught to draw the US dollar sign
with two vertical bars. I recall my surprise when I came to the US
and saw the single-bad dollar sign. I asked my American born friend
about it, and he insisted that in America the dollar sign is always
drawn with a single vertical bar.

Heh, then the computer revolution started, and suddenly I started
noticing dollar signs that looked like S with just a tiny scratch
above and below but not all the way across. Go figure. :)

Adam
---
http://LowestDomainRates.PhoneCowboy.com/
Domains for $12.95/year