RE: French uppercase accented letters

From: Alain LaBonté (alb@iquebec.com)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 23:27:16 EST

A 21:33 2001-11-30 -0800, Etienne Kroger a écrit :

>"Le bon usage" (Grevisse) suggests that people have traditionally not used
>accents in manuscripts/handwriting, but recommends to apply accents on
>print.
>
>Some of our best professors would give us a very hard time when we applied
>accents. I always thought that dictionnaries showed accents on purpose
>(since terms are all upper-cased).
>
>Now I realize that I have mispelled my name my entire life...
>
>Etienne, no Étienne

[Alain] Welcome in my wife's club! She always wrote her name as "France
Emond"... it is in fact "Émond"...

    It is true that for handwiting, in particular in signatures, the usage
is still (on both sides of the Atlantic) to not put accents on the initial
capitals. That should not apply for printing though, nor for information
processing. But in a signature, who cares?

Alain LaBonté
Québec