Re: Are these characters encoded?

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Sat Dec 01 2001 - 17:14:06 EST

At 16:02 -0500 2001-12-01, DougEwell2@cs.com wrote:

>> 1.) Swedish ampersand (see "&.bmp"). It's an "o" (for "och", i.e. "and")
>> with a line below. In handwritten text it is almost always used instead of
>> &, in machine-written text I don't think I've ever seen it.
>
>This might be a character in its own right, as different from the ampersand
>as U+204A TIRONIAN SIGN ET. Or it might be simply a glyph variant of the
>ampersand. If you have never seen o-underbar in machine-written text, I
>doubt that this will help your cause much. You might try U+006F U+0332,
>though this will probably not give you the vertical spacing you expect.

It is certainly not a glyph variant of an ampersand. An ampersand is
a ligature of e and t. This is certainly an abbreviation of och. That
both mean "and" is NOT a reason for unifying different signs.

Having said that, it seems to me that U+00B0 would represent Stefan's
character easily enough.

>(As a side note, this "o-underbar" form reminds me of the "c-underbar" which
>is sometimes used in handwritten English to mean "with." Does anyone know
>the origin of this symbol? Is it possibly derived from the Latin word cum,
>meaning "with"? Does it have any claim to being a character in its own
>right?)

I've never seen this in handwritten English. Cappelli's Dizionario di
Abbreviature latine ed italiane shows several abbreviations for cum,
none of which are a c with underbar.

--
Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com