RE: Information Please

From: ahanif@id-bs.com
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 11:01:37 EST

Dear Unicode Experts

I am working on project that involves unicode (particularly Languages Urdu
& Arabic)
and have limited IT knowledge. Therefore could you please help me with the
queries below:

1) Unicode on an Operating System that did not support Unicode may
henceforth result that displaying Urdu & Arabic would not be possible? Or
is it the case that displaying and supporting Unicode is application
dependant rather than OS e.g. say an applications like Internet Explorer or
Netscape Navigator?

2) Following on from the previous point, lets say that IE could display
Urdu & Arabic regardless of the OS. Thereafter, what would be the support
with HMTL & IE regarding keyboard, fonts, etc - which are important to our
project?

3) From what I understand: XML would have the necessary Unicode support for
storing Urdu & Arabic files? Also why not use HTML, what are the advantages
of XML over HTML in this case?

4) Can you point me to useful Websites/Resources regarding international
issues/multilingual
development (esp Urdu & Arabic) with HTML & XML?

Thanks for the advice, and direction to other pertinent
resources/organisations would be appreciated.

Regards

Amar