Re: Plane One use, was Re: HTML Validation

From: James Kass (jameskass@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Dec 16 2001 - 18:11:34 EST

Curtis Clark wrote,

> I have a Linear B font that I'm thinking about re-encoding for Unicode when
> the proposal is approved, and I have some questions about current Plane One
> usability that will affect my decision.
>
> 1. Does any currently and commonly available word processing software
> access Plane One, for either entry or display?

Don't know about word processors, but Notepad which ships with
Windows 2000 works with Plane One. The SCUnipad plain text
editor now supports non-BMP characters and even displays Deseret
on Win 9x. For keyboard entry, the newest Keyman software has
been reported to work. (I usually just enter ASCII transliteration
on the keyboard and then run a simple DOS-based conversion routine.)

> 2. How can I encode glyphs into Plane One? Is Fontlab 3 sufficient (I'm
> assuming in any case that I'll have to change something by hand).

The latest version of Fontlab (just released) might enable non-BMP
font construction, but I've not yet seen the documentation.
Otherwise, as far as I know no font editor supports anything
beyond U+FFFF. So, it needs to be done by hand according to the
OpenType specifications for the "cmap" table.

Best regards,

James Kass.