Re: Euro in Email headers, misinformation?

From: Richard Čepas (rch@richard.eu.org)
Date: Wed Dec 26 2001 - 04:54:58 EST

On Wed Dec 26 00:17:53 2001 +0330 Roozbeh Pournader wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Dec 2001, Dr. International wrote:
>
>> In fact, I didn't know about RFC 2047. Unfortunately my contacts in the
>> Exchange team did not mention that this might be the reason for the lost
>> Euro in the subject line. A quick search on the internet leads me to
>> believe that mail servers, which implement RFC 2047 will keep the Euro
>> (for that matter any character) in the subject intact, if the client can
>> understand it. Is that right? I have to admit that mail severs are not
>> one of my areas of expertise.
>
>Sorry for getting angry, and thanks for the clarification.
>
>But to get to the problem, no, it's not related to mail servers as far as
>I know. Mail servers don't need to implement RFC 2047, they should support
>it automatically, since it's ASCII compatible. It's the mail readers that
>should support it. So this is a realm for Outlook and Outlook Express, and
>not Exchange. (I do not know how these two implement RFC 2047, I have not
>tested them throughly yet.)
>
>But to get back to what has happened with some of your failed tests, I
>guess the problem is 8-bit headers. Some mail composers send the subject
>line as 8-bit, without doing any RFC 2047 conversion (Outlook/Outlook
>Express may be among them, I don't know). Then some mail servers may strip
>any eighth bit, remaining conformant to RFC 2822.

<...>

        Plain 8bit headers are not default Outlook/Outlook setting for mail.
But people tend to use it as Outlook/OE allows this (unfortunately)
without knowing consequences. I heard rumours that Exchange server may just
discard a message if it founds these non-standard eight bit bytes in From:
header.