Re: Character display problem example

From: Shigemichi Yazawa (yazawa@globalsight.com)
Date: Thu Dec 27 2001 - 18:51:31 EST

At Sat, 22 Dec 2001 14:35:21 -0600 (CST),
starner@okstate.edu wrote:

> Tomohiro KUBOTA says, in the Debian introduction to i18n:
>
> An example of Han Unification is available at U+9AA8. This is a
> Kanji character for 'bone'. U+8FCE is an another example of a Kanji
> character for 'welcome'. The part from left side to bottom side is
> 'run' radical. 'Run' radical is used for many Kanjis and all of them
> have the same problem. U+76F4 is an another example of a Kanji
> character for 'straight'. I, a native Japanese speaker, cannot
> recognize Chiense version at all.

I agree with him that a Kanji 'straight' shown in Unicode book is not
recognizable to even well educated Japanese people. I don't understand
what's wrong with the shape of 'run' radical. Its shape is certainly
different from what you would learn at elementary school, but it's
well recognizable and commonly used in printing forms.

Shigemichi Yazawa
yazawa@globalsight.com