RE: Vertical scripts (was: Tategaki (was: Re: Updated...))

From: Sampo Syreeni (decoy@iki.fi)
Date: Fri Dec 28 2001 - 13:26:06 EST

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Marco Cimarosti wrote:

>>I thought that sometimes numbers for example "123." might be written
>>horizontally in the middle of a vertical run.
>> 123.
>
>That's true: an extra complication! However, I have only seen that for
>one- or two-digit numbers.

I think this is something better handled by special-casing in rendering
software -- the numbers (and whatnot) could be rendered as rotated or
straight top-to-bottom as well. Considering this, it seems like a
stylistic variation better controlled by an upper level protocol, if at
all.

>But that would a limited case for horizontal text embedded in vertical
>text: I cannot imagine a real-world situation for a vertical text
>embedded in horizontal text.

If you think about the history of this particular rendering, it's about
the Western/Arabic numbers intruding the East Asian writing system. If
there's anything to believe in cyberpunk, the tide might well turn one
day. I'm not quite sure we couldn't one day have residual English embedded
with native Japanese terms. ;)

Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - mailto:decoy@iki.fi, tel:+358-50-5756111