Re: Vertical scripts (was: Tategaki (was: Re: Updated...))

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 08:24:45 EST

Patrick Andries scripsit:

> This is the time for an aspiring J. R. R. Tolkien to leave his mark in
> the Unicode saga by adopting a new strictly vertical script...à la Tengwar.

JRRT actually did create such a vertical script, which was used in
the Blessed Realm before Feanor got around to creating the Tengwar
as we know them today: the Sarati of Ruumil. This is a TTB LTR
abjad, like Mongolian. Vowel marks appearing to the left of the
consonants are pronounced before them; those to the right, after them.

http://user.tninet.se/~xof995c/sarati.htm

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org
Please leave your values        |       Check your assumptions.  In fact,