Re: Tengwar added to Plane1 Unicode Demo Page

From: Tom Gewecke (tom@bluesky.org)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 10:59:59 EST

roozbeh wrote:

>But shouldn't you write his name in Cirth? I think that was the script
>Hobbits used. Quoting <http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/mdtci.html#DTS7>:
>
>"'I cannot read the fiery letters,' said Frodo" (LR 1 II:73), and
> Gandalf explained that "[t]he letters are Elvish, of an ancient mode,
> but the language is that of Mordor" (LR 1 II:74).

Tengwar (or Cirth) could probably be used to write any of the languages of
Tolkien's world. My impression is that Hobbits spoke Westron (of which
little is known, because it is almost always translated into English,
including Hobbit names), and did use Tengwar to write it. Frodo can't read
the ring inscription because it is in Black Speech, which he could not
understand (and of which the inscription is also just about the only
example).