Re: Strange plane 1 behaviour

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 12:56:25 EST

Tom Gewecke wrote:

> Tengwar is now added to the "unicode-example-plane1.html" page. Let me know
> if the results for that are any different.

Yes they are.
And they differ from my previous test.

unicode-example-plane1.html
===========================

IE 6.0.2600.0000.xpclient.010817-1148:
- All characters are correctly displayed (as far as I can tell,
   i. e. Etruscan and Gothic have the correct characters,
   Deseret and Tengwar apparently have the correct script).
- The writing direction is alright.

Opera 6.0, Build 1010:
- All characters are correctly displayed (same proviso as above).
   This works only when the font for "normal" Text is explicitely
   set to Code2001, i. e., Opera apparently ignores the font-family
   from the embedded CSS statements.
- Every single Etruscan word is (erroneously) written LTR, while
   the overall writing direction in the Etruscan table cells is RTL.
   I have tried various combinations of RLO/LRO characters, HTML Dir
   attributes for the Td element, and CSS Dir attributes (as given in
   the HTML source) -- to no avail. Apparently, Opera misinterprets
   the RLO/LRO characters, and ignores the HTML, and CSS Dir attributes.

Netscape 6.2:
- All plane-1 characters are replaced with question marks.
- The RLO, and LRO, characters are replaced with question marks,
   in a different (sans-serif) font.
- Unexpectedly, the MIDDLE DOT in the Etruscan×Name cell is also
   replaced with a question mark! Even if you replace the "·"
   NCR with a "·" entity, the MIDDLE DOT remains a question
   mark. If you replace it with a B7 byte (MIDDLE DOT in ISO 8859-1),
   however, it will be displayed as intended, in spite of the "char-
   set=x-user-defined" specification.
- The general writing direction is alright.

unicode-plane1-utf8.html
========================

IE 6.0.2600.0000.xpclient.010817-1148:
- All plane-1 characters are replaced with WHITE SQUARES.
- The writing direction is alright.

Opera 6.0, Build 1010:
- Etruscan and Gothic are correctly displayed;
   Deseret and Tengwar are replaced with weird glyphs I do not
   recognize.
- Every single Etruscan word is (erroneously) written LTR, while
   the overall writing direction in the Etruscan table cells is RTL.

Netscape 6.2:
- All plane-1 characters are replaced with double question marks.
- The general writing direction is alright.

Best wishes,
   Otto Stolz