RE: Unicode Search Engines

From: Addison Phillips [wM] (aphillips@webmethods.com)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 16:35:13 EST

Most search engines can search sites encoded in UTF-8. That isn't generally
the problem. The problem is entering the data to search for. Most of the
search pages aren't encoded in a Unicode encoding, so you can't enter "just
any" Unicode characters to search for...

One exception that I know well (I did some I18N work for them) is AltaVista.
If you go to the search page and click on "Customize Settings", you can set
the search engine to use UTF-8 as your search encoding (both input and
output). The back end is entirely Unicode.

Regards,

Addison
Addison P. Phillips
Globalization Architect / Manager, Globalization Engineering
webMethods, Inc. | The Business Integration Company
432 Lakeside Drive, Sunnyvale, California, USA
+1 408.962.5487 (phone) +1 408.210.3569 (mobile)
Internationalization is an architecture. It is not a feature.